Monday, April 26, 2010

Night-Response

Night - By Elie Wiesel- Nobel Peace Price Winner 1986

Chapter #1
In the book Night Eliezer is telling us how he Lived the Holocaust what happened in his case with full details of what he felt and how he reacted to everything. While I was reading this chapter all I thought about was how unfair and how bad it could have felt to be treated as Jews where treated in the Holocaust, all I could think was how the Germans could have created such sadness and sorrow in the Jews.

Then it came back to my memory that I had seen The Pianist also a movie based on a true story of a man that survived the Holocaust. The movie particularly shows the ghettos terribly worse than described in the book. In the book it said they had enough to eat and drink but in the movie it was hard to find a piece of bread which actually made it hard to understand but, then I figured out the Pianist takes place in Poland but this one in Sighet, Transylvania. This shows me that some Jews for their good where luckier than others although at the end many died in the same conditions. I did see the connection between both when they showed all the faith they have to overcome this war and stay alive through it. Anyways I can say that the Holocaust in every way it can be described is still unfair, terrible and disastrous.

When I was reading that Elie´s father went to a meeting with the Jewish council and that he couldn´t be told where they were going to be sent it came to my mind that this was totally unfair and weird. Maybe if they would´ve told him something different would´ve happened because after all they were supposedly there to help each other because they were all victims of the same human slaughter. The Jewish council was there to help wasn´t not letting Jewish know the truth a brutal thing to do? We will never know because nothing can be changed now but what if something good could´ve happened? I also couldn´t believe that the Jewish would actually give themselves to serve the Germans by becoming their soldiers just to save themselves, I mean I wouldn´t like to mistreat the people that have my same beliefs and that are suffering just because they have those certain beliefs."This time there were no Hungarian police . An arrangement had been made with the Jewish council that they should organize it themselves"

"The synagogue was like a huge station: luggage and tears. The altar was broken, the hangings torn down, the walls bare." How bad can that feel? Their world was being teared apart the Germans where trying to make them fall down to make them feel like they are not worth anything. I still think that Germans forgot that such thing wasn´t to be accepted and that although they where sad and fragile they had the power in their hearts to make them stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment